Sunday, August 9, 2009

What is a "good" workout?

What is it exactly that defines a good workout? Is it setting a new personal best on a specific discipline, out-doing your friend in the bench press or maybe simply getting to the gym and finishing a workout? For me, this week was the last option. I gave blood last Monday (some sort of special donation, Double Red Cell I think it's called) and I felt winded and dizzy for every workout last week. It was incredibly frustrating to know that I usually run for at least four miles per workout (I know that isn't a ton but it's good for me)and every run last week I bonked after only twenty minutes of running. My swims were more difficult as well, but the running was killing me! I kept getting dizzy and lightheaded, just very frustrating. I'm hoping this week will be back to normal. It needs to be, considering Jordanelle is now less than two weeks away.

Anyhow, back to what I think really makes a good workout. It's those days when you really just don't want to go to the gym, get on your bike or get in the pool. Those days are the most important days to get to the gym and push. That is where I think you strengthen yourself mentally. By showing yourself that you can get through a workout even when it sucks. By just getting to the gym and pushing yourself through the fatigue and turning a potentially bad workout into a great one is an invaluable part of training.

I have two goals before Jordanelle. I want to do at least two swims in open water and at least one bike ride up at Jordanelle on the bike course. Today I am going to try to get a swim or bike in up there. If not today, Saturday and Monday will be my only other options. I'm really getting that excited/nervous feeling as the triathlon gets closer. Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment